Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"Wilde" in Manhattan

Last night my husband I went to an art gallery and saw his own work! As I've mentioned before, he's an art director and photographer and a few of his graphic design pieces were at the gallery. Entitled, The Wilde Years: Four Decades of Shaping Visual Culture, the exhibition captures the professional work of commercial artists who have graduated from the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan during the 40-year tenure of Department Chair Richard Wilde. It is a energetic show chronicling exciting graphic design and advertising work. It runs until November 7th and is at SVA's Visual Arts Gallery, 601 West 26th Street. The space(s), on the 15th floor, has an adjoining outdoor terrace capturing a 180 degree view of downtown Manhattan. The weather, the view and the ultra cool arty crowd made for a real, "I love New York" evening.

Driving into the city to go meet Tom (Husband) at dusk from our home 15 miles north, I had one of those travel; stop, look and listen moments. I was on the West Side Highway and the sun was glistening on the Hudson, I drove past the Boat Basin at 79th Street, boats anchored, bobbed hello. Continuing past Trump Plaza to my left and Jersey's waterfront buildings across the water, I thought to myself even Trump's buildings look like something more than an upright shoe boxes tonight–I love where I live (okay there was no traffic and U2 was playing on the radio) but still...it was a beautiful night in Manhattan and the city itself was pea-cocking. And I didn't have to take a long flight to experience it!

No comments: